Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lamb Potato Sausage with Braised Cabbage

This is a classic winter combination. For this meal I drew inspiration from "Chefs on the Farm" by Shannon Borg and Lora Lea Misterly. This is a great book and is full of great seasonal recipes. I have made the sausage once before but I bought the already ground meat at the market. This time I ground my own meat. I chose lamb neck for the lamb meat and some pork shoulder for some good fat content. It turned out good. But, I am just learning about sausage making and there a few kinks I need to work out.
So I will leave you with a great recipe taken from, "Chefs on the Farm".

Cider Braised Cabbage with Chiles, and Apples

serves 4

In a large cast iron skillet, melt over medium heat:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Add and cook for 4 minutes:
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
5 whole garlic cloves
Stir in and cook lightly:
1 small head Savoy cabbage, cored and sliced
2 Cameo apples, cored and sliced
Add and toss together:
2 dried arbol chiles
6 whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon honey
Reduce heat to medium-low, add and, cook covered for 10 minutes:
2 cups apple cider
Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is gone. Add:
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
salt, to taste
Continue to cook until all liquid in gone. Serve under some great homemade sausages.




No comments:

Post a Comment